Strategic Initiatives Program Overview
The Ohio & Erie Canalway National Heritage Area has a new Strategic Initiatives Program, which evolved out of its previous Grants Program.
The new Strategic Initiatives Program is focused on the disbursement of awards aligned with key elements found in its Congressionally designated Corridor Management Plan. Note: The Corridor Management Plan can be downloaded from the main "For Our Canalway Partners" page.
Strategic Initiatives Program - 2015 Focus
The focus of the 2015 program is on the building and extension of Canalway travel components and their connections as well as investments into associated visitor nodes. The reason for the program change is to focus Federal funds into priority projects, as defined by the Corridor Management Plan.
To balance diminishing appropriations and maximize use of Federal funds, the following changes are in effect:
Award Amounts - The program caps award amounts at $75,000
Match Requirements - A minimum match ratio of 2:1 is required.
The Strategic Initiatives Programs works within the National Heritage Area, a four-county region — Cuyahoga, Summit, Stark and Tuscarawas — to provide awards to enhance the Ohio & Erie Canalway, as outlined below.
How Strategic Initiatives are Making a Difference
Since the founding of the Ohio & Erie Canalway, Congress has awarded more than $8.3 million for projects, plans and programs within the Canalway. These funds have been matched with more than $28 million from private, local, state, and other non-federal funding sources. This has allowed the Ohio & Erie Canalway to contribute to the construction of the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail, the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad, the America’s Byway, and Visitor Facilities and Services throughout the Canalway. Additional projects funded enrich local cities, towns and villages through community development efforts that feature historic preservation and/or natural conservation.
The Strategic Initiatives Process
Who is Eligible to Apply?
- State of Ohio political subdivisions
- Non-profit organizations
- Other persons or projects that fall within the boundaries of the Ohio & Erie Canalway National Heritage Area
Fiscal Year 2015 Application Process: Update
- Now Taking Applications for the 2015 Program
How to Apply
- Read the materials below.
- Review & complete the Application Materials listed next:
- 2015 Application Cover Letter
- 2015 Application
- 2015 Environmental Screening Form
- Complete and submit the Application Materials
- If selected to continue in the process, arrangements will be made for a one-on-one consultation with the Strategic Initiatives Coordinator. (Please Note - This step is by invitation only. All Applicants will receive notification of status in this time period.)
- Final awards are made based on availability of Federal funds.
Strategic Initiatives News
Click here for the latest Strategic Initiatives News
Strategic Initiatives Award Announcements
Click here for Strategic Initiatives Award Announcements.
Projects in Motion!
See our funds in action – this month’s highlight is Take A Hike
Feel free to contact George Ebey, Strategic Initiatives Coordinator, with any questions.
Fiscal Year 2015 Letter of Inquiry process: Update
The Ohio & Erie Canalway Fiscal Year 2015 Letter of Inquiry process is underway.